I am going to let you in on a secret. Meditation is incredibly pleasurable. Not only can it feel really good while you are doing it, but the pleasure it brings gently stretches and reaches out into the rest of your day and life.
Maybe you want to meditate, but just don’t know where to start. Maybe you already meditate, but it’s time to bring a little extra magic into your practice. Either way, you’re in luck! Let me (or someone else you trust) drive your meditation for you. I’ll take the wheel and you can kick back and enjoy the moment.
I’m willing to drive because, you are totally deserving of all of the benefits meditation brings (just as you are). And, at least to get you started, I want to share with you the shortcuts I know so you can get to the good stuff right away!
The easiest way to let someone drive is to come to a live meditation event, but that may not always fit into your schedule or budget. So for our purposes right now, let stick with how to let someone else drive your home practice.
Here’s what you need to do (don’t worry, it’s easier than you think):
- Let go of the idea of meditation as something hard. Replace that idea with a vision of meditation being a luxurious inner art that you practice when you want to treat yourself really well.
- Create a power spot in your home, someplace you feel really good. (Yes it can be your bed, you can lie down and meditate, I do it all the time.)
- Light a candle or incense with an aroma you love and use specifically for these sacred sections of time.
- Put on some headphones and press play on 15 to 20 minutes of a great soundscape or guided meditation.
- Cover your eyes with a soft velvety cloth. (For extra credit – place crystals around or on your body.)
- Rest. Breathe. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, no one to be. Follow along with whatever sonic magic your headphones are making. Let yourself feel good.
- When your audio ends, lay quiet and still and allow insights to arise.
- Look in the mirror when you are done to bring yourself back home and set the tone for the next 24 hours.
- Repeat the next time you want to treat yourself.
That’s it! When you put those headphones on, that’s when you are turning over the wheel and letting someone else drive so you can take that deep dive into the place inside you that is bursting with treasure.
Remember that right now, at this very moment, however things are, you deserve to harvest the fruits of a meditation practice and enjoy them as your own.
In closing, and hopefully to inspire you further, here is one of my favorite Mary Oliver poems that speaks to how deserving you already are:
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting –
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
Here’s to taking it ease-y!
P.S. If you need suggestions regarding what to play on those headphones, click over to JessicaSnowMeditation.com for instant access to some very good ideas. As well as a 20% reader discount on all meditations purchased through the end of June (enter code TGWK at checkout)!
Photo by cinnamon girl via Flickr