I just returned from a 14 day trip to a remotely beautiful island, Aitutaki in the Cook Islands, because, well, my Higher Self told me it was what I needed.
Ok, so you might be thinking, “How can I get my Higher Self to tell me to step away from my day-to-day life?” It’s easier than you think, and I’m here to share with you how you can too.
I learned early on when I began my Reiki healing practice, Blossoming Lotus, that I had to create a self-care plan to balance out all of the work I was doing with my clients and behind the scenes. Between seeing 5-8 clients a day, responding to emails, and managing my social media accounts, it started to feel like I was living too much in my mind.
I knew I had to figure out what self-care looked and felt like for me.
So, I would go into meditation to connect with my Higher Self (that inner voice, the part of us that is infinite) and listen to what I needed in order to cultivate balance.
It started with trips to the beach and hikes in nature to ground myself to the energy of the Earth. These helped me get out of my head and into the present moment for the most part, but I still found myself checking my phone or snapping a shot for Instagram.
I knew I needed to travel further from the office, further from home – where no wifi existed.
And then all the reasons not to flooded in: “I don’t have enough money” or “I can’t take that much time off.” “My practice will fail if I’m not there…and what about all those emails?” I knew I needed to let go of these limiting beliefs and thoughts and so I went online and booked a retreat at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, CA. It wasn’t totally wifi free (they have wifi in the lodge), but I didn’t feel the need to check my email once because I was so immersed in the beauty of the land, the wisdom of my workshop, and all the amazing new friends I was making.
From that moment on I made wifi free travel part of my monthly routine. Sometimes it’s just for those day-long hikes, and other months it’s for two-week trips to the Cook Islands. I just listen to what my soul is telling me it needs.
The best part is that my business hasn’t suffered at all because of taking time off, it has only grown and expanded the more I listen and trust the voice within.
Now it’s time to create a new chapter in the story of your life. Sit with these questions and answer them from your heart; where your deepest desires lay…
- Am I feeling stressed out about my personal and/or professional life?
- What words would I use to describe my stress? (tired, too busy, over-extended, bored, etc.)
- What words describe how I want to feel?
- Where would I go or what would I be doing when I feel these positive feelings? You can close your eyes and see what visualizations come, of if you keep you eyes open, just write down the first things that pop into your mind.
- Make a commitment to follow through with at least one of your answers today. It doesn’t have to be the one at the top of your list for the first few times (but I’m not saying not to! Go for it!). Start with doing that hike somewhere you’ve never been, taking that yoga class, or getting that massage. Or, go online and start researching the destination of your dreams and what it takes to get there. Listen to your intuition about what feels do-able for you in this moment, keeping in mind that sometimes we need to stretch a little to grow.
I hope this post inspires you to create more space in your life for listening to your intuition and trusting that higher wisdom. Getting to know what your needs are at any given point in time, and then honoring that commitment to yourself, is key to having a successful business and life.
I’d love to hear what self-care means for you. Comment below and then share with someone you feel might need this wisdom (or a trip to the Cook Islands) right about now!